April 3, 2009
Adventures In P'colaland
Today was great!
The sun was shining, the breeze was cool, everything was so green.
I woke up feeling refreshed, even considering I tossed and turned all night, I was so restless. I was surprised I didn't feel exhausted, grumpy, and just not in the mood to mingle.
But alas, I was wrong and so our day began.
Considering the weather from the past week vs. today, it was incomparable. My spirits were bright as I saw the light shining through my bedroom window. Finally, sun!
Liz and I had a relaxing, somewhat speedy morning. We ate breakfast and talked about our adventures for the day. She is coming down with a cold, so I was glad to get out today pre-grump stages.
We packed up the car and headed out on our mini adventure to Florida land. The land of sunshine, white sandy beaches, and our family. The perfect place.
We sang songs on the drive over and I reminded her of the people we were going to visit. In hopes that she would take to them immediately and not shy away. It helped and she didn't.
We arrived at the Noble compound around 11:00, just in time for lunch. Spinach quiche and fresh spring salad, with a spritz of raspberry vinaigrette. We took our time, eating slowly, Liz sitting in a big girl chair and enjoying the freedom of it. Great Grandma Virgie and Great Grandpa Dub so in awe of Elizabeth and how, in their words, "Smart, kind, and beautiful" she is. They hugged her endlessly, gave her sweet grandparent kisses that only they can give.
I admired them interacting with MY child from afar. It really touched my heart to see my 83 year old grandparents getting to know THEIR future.
My dad arrived shortly after 12:00 and as always, he had that Grandpa twinkle in his eyes like he does every time he sees Liz. You could almost reminisce with him, and the memories he has of when I was a little girl.
We finished lunch and went outside. The dogs, Kita and Lovey, were waiting patiently for their human companions to join them...and maybe even throw a ball or two. Liz took one look at Kita, and bolted towards her, burying her little face into Kita's gigantic fury belly. Kita is a ginormous German Shepard, and the sweetest dog you'd ever have the pleasure of knowing. Lovey excitedly jumped on each of us as we walked by her. Being a terrier, it is in her nature.
We enjoyed our lovely day of sun and family. With the deterioration my grandfather is experiencing due to his Alzheimer's, days like this are few and so much more precious and meaningful to me now than they ever were before. He knew who I was, and more importantly, he knew MY child. He may never "know" us again.
So I say, today was perfect.
Pictures to come!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
How special to spend a day with family, especially g'parents! :)
ReplyDelete